Churches strive to support their community and their attendees to the best of their ability. That being said, finding new ways to get involved can be difficult, especially when we’ve been faced with so many challenges during the course of the past year. Whether you’re ramping up your efforts or finding new ways to serve others, here are some unique ways to serve your church and its members that you may not have thought of yet.
1. Help seniors thrive by providing them with resources to better navigate their day-to-day lives.
The older adult population was an especially vulnerable group in the United States during the COVID-19 pandemic. Even as the pandemic begins to wind down, however, seniors with special care needs or those who have been economically impacted may need greater support. This can mean offering your own workshops with daily activities that seniors can engage in, helping seniors with disabilities or diseases like Alzheimer’s find and afford assisted living communities, or even supporting them with medical care and bills. Even though this may seem minor to you, it means the world to seniors who need caregivers or wish to lead more independent lives.
2. Serve your local homeless population by offering them the support they need for a better tomorrow.
The good word may attract a number of people to your organization, especially those who may be facing hardships like homelessness. The state of homelessness can be quite shocking to learn about, especially when it comes to the lack of resources that people need to lead a better quality of life. Although you can’t singlehandedly get a handle on homelessness, taking the time to find ways to feed, clothe, and direct these individuals towards resources that will supply them with housing and jobs can be life-changing. Sure, you may have to invest in some new offering supplies to spur generosity in your congregation, but seeing how much good you can do for those less fortunate is truly inspiring.
3. Create events and fundraisers that aim to make your town a better place to live in.
Chances are that there are ways to make your city better for not only your congregation but for all the citizens that live there as well. One of the best ways to get involved is to host your own events where you can sell tickets to raise funds for certain projects or engage in a community-changing event with the support of your church community. Some ideas to help you get started include:
- Putting together a community cookout where you can raise funds for a special cause and connect with others in your community.
- Hosting an event like a race or a competition where you can encourage others to donate a certain amount to charity (you may even want to host raffles and provide other incentives to get more people involved).
- Going out with your congregation to pick up litter in your area or even collect old items that can be repurposed and donated to others who need these goods.
No matter what stands out most to you, get creative and come up with some events that can help you do good for your church, the people in your church, and the community as a whole.
Figuring out exactly how you can help your church and the city you live in can seem like a difficult task. However, there are so many great examples and ideas out there that you’re bound to come across one that works for you. If you operate a church and are looking for ways to give back, use some of the ideas listed above to gain inspiration and insight into how you can begin.
To read more on topics like this, check out the Life Tips category